Thursday, August 26, 2010

Drawing Tutorials are Everywhere

Having the freedom not to write thesis makes me want to improve some of my interests. One of them is drawing sketches.

It all started when I went to American Book Corner in the center of The Hague in a middle of a break of writing my thesis few days ago. In the discounted books section, I found a book on how to draw portraits. It is one of "Artist's Work Book" series called: "The Practical Guide to Drawing Portraits". I got it for 3.99 euros with a 10% student discount (one of the privileges of being a poor student).

Although there are all sorts of techniques and methods on drawing portraits, what I found interesting in this book is how they explain the techniques like teaching to an idiot. Actually I've never read any books about the practical guide on drawing portrait, but I found this book is quite helpful to me. Because I never actually applied help grid properly to make a sketch.

The other I find interesting in this book is in one of the tips section. It says:
Always try to produce exactly what you see in front of you, and not what you don't see. Trust your eyes. They are very accurate.
when drawing, I Sometimes wildly use my imagination, since I am much exposed to fictional comic strips. But I do like and would love to make a proper portrait.

Youtube also have lots of How To's for drawing. One of the video I like is the one that uses the Andrew Loomis approach.





There are many other techniques that you can find on youtube. Now, with a tutorial book and Serge's sketch book in my hand, we'll see if I can actually produce a skecth, or just end up finding my head stuck in the internet looking at the work and techniques, drawn with amusement.

1 comment:

  1. New web site is looking good. Thanks for the great effort.

    ReplyDelete